The island fortress of the legendary warrior king Tipu Sultan, Srirangapatna is just 16km from Mysore city. Inside the fortress is Tipu's mosque with its twin minarets, the celebrated Ranganatha Swamy Temple, Tipu's Summer Palace, the Wellesley Bridge, and the dungeons where British officers were once imprisoned. Equally impressive is the ornate white-domed Gumbaz, an imposing structure with doors of ebony inlaid with ivory and lacquered with Tipu's tiger-striped emblem. About 1km to the east of the fort is Tipu's Summer Palace (known as the Daria Daulat Bagh) set amidst a lovely garden.
Srirangapatna is a rocky island formed by Cauvery River.That made it significant from a military as well as religious point of view. The religious history of Srirangapatna dates back to 9th century AD when the Gangas ( Ganga dynasty ) ruled this region from their capital at Talakkadu. They built the Sri Ranganathaswamy temple in this island and hence the name Srirangapatna.
Sri Ranganatha Swamy Temple - Srirangapatna
Ranganatha Swamy Temple is one of the largest temples in the state, and is of great local importance. An inscription dated 894 AD revels that a Ganga Chieftain by name Thirumalaiah was the founder of the temple of Sri Ranganatha.Later, Hoysalas, Vijayanagara, Mysore Wodeyars, Haider Ali enlarged it. The presiding deity is the colossal image of Ranganatha reclining on Adishesha. The inner most part of the temple was constructed by the Hoysalas of which several granite pillars at Sukanasi are impressively designed shallow domes. The Navaranga, which has round bell, shaped pillars, and Mahadwara (Gopura) was built in the style of Vijayanagara. Two pillars having depicting Vishnu in 24 forms with their names arranged is note worthy.
Visiting Hours: 08.00 AM to 01.00 PM and 04.00 PM to08.00 PM
GUMBAZ - Srirangapatna
At the eastern end of the island towards the South is Gumbaz or Mausoleum. It was built by Tippu Sultan for his parents between 1782-84AD. Later Tippu was buried here on 5th May 1799. It is an impressive square tomb chamber surrounded by brick built dome. Open corridors run along its four sides with polished black stone pillars. The carved stone windows and doorways with ivory inlaid doors are of fine workmanship. In the verandahs and on the platform are housed the Tombs of Haider's family members. There is also a mosque in the complex built in Mughal style.
Visiting Hours: 8.00AM to 8.00Pm Phone: 08236-252007
SANGAM - Srirangapatna
A few minutes walk from the Gumbaz to the east is the confluence of the two branches of river Cauvery which is a sacred spot for Hindus. The natural scenery here about is grand and good picnic spot.