The Bellary Fort was built on top of the Ballari Gudda or Fort Hill, during Vijayanagar times by Hanumappa Nayaka. Hyder Ali took possession from the Nayakas in 1769, got the fort renovated and modified with the help of a French engineer. Legend has it that the engineer was hanged for overlooking the fact that the neighbouring Kumbra Gudda was taller than Bellary Gudda, thus compromising the secrecy and command of the fort. His grave is believed to be located near the East Gate of the fort, though some locals believe it to be the grave of some Muslim holy man. Recently, the fort has been illuminated on a 2 km stretch, using 188 special lights and supported by a separate sub station. Visit the illuminated fort in the evening and watch the past come alive
Bellary Fort, Karnataka
Bellary Fort can be divided into two parts-the Upper fort and the Lower fort. The Upper fort was originally constructed during the Vijayanagara times. The polygonal Bellary Fort is with a single entrance. This part of the fort consists of a citadel (1976 ft.), cisterns, temple, several pools and cells. A seven-colour waterbody has currently evaporated. The tunnel here is also said to link the cities of Mysore and Sriragapatna. A single rock-strewn way will lead the travellers to the top of Bellary Fort.
Hyder Ali constructed the lower part of the fort. This part lies in the eastern base of the rock. Measuring half a mile it once had armoury and garrisons. There are two entrances to access the Lower fort facing the eastern and the western directions. Outside the eastern gate the tourists will come across a temple of Lord Hanuman. Bellary Fort is a major tourist attraction in the Bellary district. Recently the fort has been beautified with light and it is spectacular to witness the huge structure at evening. The green expanse and the hill top sceneries are the other attractions of the Bellary fort.